Sunday, September 6, 2009

CST300 Learning Journal Entry 1

I have to write about the pathways class, the student portfolios, the video, and the last class session all in a single post from what I understand?

After looking over the ITCD Pathways or the CSIT Pathways several times already it looks like the one I wanted, Game Development, won't start for another year if at all. I was really looking forward to graphics programming class since I've already worked with several graphics API's like DirectX and OpenGL in my spare time. So that leaves me with either Software engineering or the Networking and Security option. I'd probably have more fun in ITCD doing web programming or digital animation but in the past I've been able to teach myself those things pretty easy. The reason I'm here is to take classes like Data Structures, Algorithms, Discrete Math, etc that I know are hard to build the foundation for a career, as Dr. Sathya Narayanan explained in his excellent slides during class. Those are the sort of classes that take alot of mental effort and time and that most don't have the patience or discipline to learn on their own.
Then again I'm really good at troubleshooting networks since I did alot of that in the military and can be pretty fun but minimal to no programming there really. I'd really like to get hands on experience with Cisco routers since they wouldn't even let you touch those in the military because one wrong move i.e. command and the whole network could be down for days!
Ah, so many choices so little time.

The video talks mainly about communications skills and it's importance in getting hired. Pretty much the same thing Dr. Sathya Narayanan also talked about during his presentation. Like Dr. Sathya Narayanan said if you have the skills but can't convice others all is for naught.

During the last class various professors came in and introduced the different pathways available. Most made use of powerpoint to convey information on what options were available. Dr. Sathya Narayanan made on of the best powerpoint presentations I've seen in a while. Michael Machado provided us with alot of useful information on the webservers available on campus and the free software available from Microsoft.

Finally, alot of the student portfolio's had broken links so I had less to choose from than I first thought but one I did choose was Zachariah Babayco's. I chose it because it was on networking which I might choose as my concentration. It was very well written and made excellent use of graphics and charts for the computers in the network layout's which I liked alot.
Another one I picked was Janette Lopez because it involved giving back to the community which I feel is important.

No comments:

Post a Comment