Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Learning Journal entry 2

Study Strategies And Habits:
This website definitely has some good tips if you need some advise for bettering your study habits but I think they missed some important and major things. One of the 3 area's they talked about that I'm strong at is taking tests. One of the techniques I use that they didn't mention and has helped me in the past is to quickly look over all the questions and see if any of the questions give you informations or answers to the other questions. I can't believe how many tests I have taken in the past where the answer to say question 1 was in question 7 later and I can't believe the instructor did that on purpose! Also, on multiple choice or T/F question if you have alot that are the same you probably got alot of them wrong since test normally don't have alot of true and false in a row in my experience. My second strong skill is studying only in a quiet place free from distract and only when I'm not tired and able to concentrate. My third strong skill is making a list of priorities so I complete all my assignments on time. My weak areas are my writing. My cursive is terrible so I have to print everything out so it's readable and it's cost me valuable time on long essay type questions in the past! Second weak point is that I take terrible lecture notes but luckily for me it seems that most classes have now moved to providing the lectures in either powerpoint or some other electronic format so it's not that big of a deal now. My last weak point would be picking out the main points since I get so interested in every small detail that I lose sight of the big picture.

Preview Time management:
Also this website http://www.gmu.edu/departments/csdc/time.htm. Very helpful for those who may be having time management issues or just need some advise. Here is my survey.
___8__ X 7 = ___56___Number of hours of sleep each night
___1____ X 7 = ___7____Number of grooming hours per day
___2____ X 7 = ___14___Number of hours for meals/snacks per day - include preparation time
___2____ X 5 = ___10___Total travel time weekdays
___2____ Total travel time weekends
___3____ Number of hours per week for regularly scheduled functions (clubs, church, get-togethers, etc.)
___2____ X 7 = ___14___Number of hours per day for chores, errands, extra grooming, etc.
___20___ Number of hours of work per week
___16___ Number of hours in class per week
___7____ Number of average hours per week socializing, dates, etc. Be honest!
___130__ Now add up the totals
Subtract the above number from 168 - ___130__ = ___38___

What You Learned Last Class:
So in this last class we had more school faculty come to class and make presentations. First Sue Bude talked about capstone projects and she spoke clearly and did a good presentation. I learned that you should start early thing about what you are going to do since it takes a year to complete and it's usually done your senior year and if you don't complete it you don't graduate.
The other presenter was Dr. Byun. He's my C++ instructor. He spent most of his time explaining a brainteaser about people crossing a bridge, that's supposedly used as an interview question for jobs at Microsoft so maybe that's where he got it at.
Anyways, it seems to be popular on the internet after I googled it and yes, 17 minutes is possible but I'd say it'd take a while for most people to see the solution unless they have already seen it before.
It's like one of those thinking outside the box problems where you try to connect all the dots on a piece of paper without lifting your finger or something similar. I don't like them since I've never been good at puzzles.
The final thing I learned was that VB and C/C++ is still used alot in programming. I kinda already knew that since Iphone uses a variation of C and every programmer wants to program for the iphone these days! I didn't know about C# going down in popluarity though. I thought everyone was learning C# or Java nowadays but it actually looks like C# has gone down in popularity for some reason? Maybe it's the popularity of the iphone like I mentioned?

2 comments:

  1. I'm not good at programming at all. I'm more like a visual person than a programmer. I took C++ course at a community college (MPC) and it was hard for me. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The brain teaser was fun. I found all the guest speakers were interesting. I hope we have more of them.

    ReplyDelete